Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Three dollars' worth of God

Something to think about.

I would like to buy three dollars' worth of God, please.
Not enough to explode my soul,
or disturb my sleep,
but just enough to equal a cup of warm milk,
or a snooze in the sunshine.
I don't want enough of Him to make me love a black man
or pick beets with a migrant.
I want ecstasy,
not transformation.
I want the warmth of the womb,
not a new birth.
I want about a pound of the eternal
in a paper sack.
I would like to buy three dollars' worth of God, please.

-- Wilbur Reese (via Aussie Adventures)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right. Definitely something to think about. God's mirror isn't always easy to take, but the transformation is worth it!

Of course, $3 worth of God would still probably explode our souls!

Wed Oct 26, 03:18:00 am  
Blogger Laughingcow said...

$3 worth of God would still probably explode our souls!

;) You're probably right about that!

Thu Oct 27, 11:13:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home