Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The blame game

When we were done [protesting], I started wondering if we had accomplished anything. I started wondering whether we could actually change the world. I mean, of course we could -- we could change our buying habits, elect socially conscious representatives and that sort of thing, but I honestly don't believe we will be solving the greater human conflict with our efforts. The problem is not a certain type of legislation or even a certain politician; the problem is the same that it has always been.

I am the problem.

I think every conscious person, every person who is awake to the functioning principles within his reality, has a moment where he stops blaming the problems in the world on group think, on humanity and authority, and starts to face himself. I hate this more than anything. This is the hardest principle within Christian spirituality for me to deal with. The problem is not out there; the problem is the needy beast of a thing that lives in my chest.

[...]

I don't have to watch the evening news to see that the world is bad, I only have to look at myself. I am not browbeating myself here; I am only saying that true change, true life-giving, God-honoring change would have to start with the individual.

-- Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

I usually wait until I finish reading a book, before I pick out the good bits to post, because it may well be that I might start off loving the book, but end up hating it when I'm done; I try to keep an open mind. But this struck me hard, simply because this has been on my mind for a while now, and it makes me cringe to see it put into words, only because of how true it is. I'm guilty of playing that blame game too -- if only people were nicer, less stupid, cared more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true. Starting with ourselves is always the hardest part. Thankfully we have the "mirror" of God's Word to help us, even though its hard to take sometimes.

Wed Sept 21, 11:22:00 pm  
Blogger Laughingcow said...

Amen to that. :)

Fri Sept 23, 12:21:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home