Tuesday, August 30, 2005

My heart's desire

It seems so many girls desire the fairy tale life. They long for the prince to come and sweep them away. I don’t really want that. I want to be pursued, yes. But I don’t really desire the “princely” sort of things. I couldn’t care less about flowers and chocolates; I would prefer an evening of good conversation. I don’t always need to be showered in jewelry; I would prefer a good CD or concert tickets. I enjoy flowers, chocolates, jewelry, and other relationship trademarks, but I don’t need them.

As I’ve been thinking about marriage, I realize that I do not desire a prince. Instead, I desire my best friend. I desire someone that I can stay up talking to all night even after a year or ten of marriage. I desire someone that I can laugh with. I desire someone who I could wear my Hello Kitty pajama pants around without feeling self-conscious. I desire someone who knows me well enough to know that tradition and presents and words do not impress me. Instead, I desire honesty, even when it hurts. I desire someone who is not afraid to call me on my stupidity and pride. I desire someone who loves God more than they will ever love me.

I was talking about dating and marriage with another friend of mine the other day. She said someone told her that it’s important for a female to place her heart into the hands of God, then her partner must go there to find it. That’s true. I believe that is one of the reasons marriage is not quite as sacred and beautiful as it used to be. So many marriages are God-free. And a marriage without God in the center is destined to fail at some point. It says in Scripture that God is love. And what is a marriage without love?

-- "I Thee Wed" by Drea

I feel a little guilty that I keep posting chunks of Drea's diary, but the girl has wisdom beyond her years, and the uncanny ability to put into words the things that I feel but am unable to crystallise in the written form.

(Drea, if you mind me doing this, please just say the word!)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one's a great post. Tell that to Drea (whoever that is) for me.

Wed Aug 31, 11:28:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind. :)

Thu Sept 01, 08:51:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear hear ... :)

Thu Sept 01, 09:23:00 am  
Blogger Laughingcow said...

Thank you, Drea. :) And I'm glad everyone liked it as much as I did. :)

Sat Sept 03, 12:35:00 am  
Blogger jeffyen said...

WOW! I'm wondering if anyone in sg think like this... :)

Thu Sept 08, 11:47:00 am  
Blogger Laughingcow said...

Huh, me lor. ;)

Thu Sept 08, 03:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home