Monday, January 23, 2006

What has changed?

I'm having trouble with one of my modules. It's the same problem that I had when I was studying sociology, but worse.

My main gripe with studies about human behaviour is that they tend to put people in boxes. While I realise that generalisation and statistics are sometimes needed for the sake of, say, debate, I am extremely loath to apply specific theories to the way I interact with others; not just that, I don't even want some of these theories to make their way to my head if it makes me doubt others the way I don't want to.

Just because someone rates low on a "How Driven Are You" test doesn't mean that they're lazy; just because someone fails doesn't mean that they're worth any less; just because someone is in the position to rat on you doesn't mean that they will; just because you have the opportunity to move up doesn't mean that you should.

I'm aware that workplace politics are very real, and that they want to equip us for these changes, but we're still dealing with people, aren't we? They're still human, aren't they? What has changed, really? Jesus didn't care what other people thought; He loved them so much that He gave up His throne in heaven to walk among them as a mere mortal. He did this without condition, without any hidden agendas. He loved them all whether they were rich or poor; He loved them when they were unclean; He loved them even when they were crucifying Him.

I don't really know how I'm going to get through this module; I hope it gets better as we approach more impersonal topics, although that seems somewhat unfair. In the end, I hope that if there's anything I take away from the lessons, it isn't the formulas or the codes of etiquette, but that I learn to put Jesus above all of this. Because if I do not love, I am nothing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LC -

Studying human behavior is very interesting and can be hard sometimes because, as you said, everyone is put into a box.

It is helpful though, when you get into the "real" world to realize that much of the world is not "Christlike". However, we also need to guard ourselves from being too cynical and judgmental of others. The fact that you posted your concerns tells me that you will keep your perspective. You appear to be a very mature young lady.

Keep loving...that's what we all must do, but also keep your eyes open and pray for God's discernment.

In Him,
Janna

Tue Jan 24, 12:56:00 am  
Blogger Laughingcow said...

Thanks, Janna. :) Yeah, I guess that's precisely what I'm afraid of, being cynical and on guard all of the time. I want to take risks... because Jesus risked His for me. But you're right, lots of prayer is needed there. :)

Tue Jan 24, 07:48:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home