Thursday, February 24, 2005

Success

I see people merely existing
I see vacant eyes full of pain
Lives broken and abused
Hiding hearts scarred and stained

As long as there's one more broken heart
One more crying soul, I'll go
And I will love them, Jesus

As long as there's one more needing You
One more I can show Your love
As long as there's one more broken heart

Could it be that I could make a difference
If I care the way You care for me
When they look into my eyes
Let it be Your eyes they see

Let me show them that You love them
Won't You help me bring them in?
Lord, I promise You again

-- "One More Broken Heart" by Jeff Slaughter and Dwight Liles

This past week has been a little bumpy. The strangest thing is that, no one even knows.

It's just that, amidst much talk about what it takes to be successful (and having to write an essay on it), my problem is that I've remained quiet, mostly because I don't know how to relate "success" to the kind of definition that the world alludes it to.

I want to "succeed" in honouring God, in caring for the ones that I love, in loving the ones that God calls me to love. If I "succeed" in these, then I would have succeeded. Period.

I cannot think to put anything before these. If it means that other ambitions have to take a back seat, then by all means. People don't realise that what I want is very different from what they want for me; some days, it feels like I'm letting them down. Perhaps one day, I will "learn to be realistic" and put things of the world before my God. But with God's strength and grace, I will be doing all I can to stop that from happening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home