Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Lessons

This is written on the first page of my Bible:

"The preparations of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the LORD."

-- Proverbs 16:1


I will prepare my heart by being in Your word every day and obeying Your laws. I will prepare my heart by worshiping You and giving thanks in all things. Fill my heart with love, peace, and joy, so that it will flow from my mouth. When I speak, give me words that will bring life and edification. Help me to speak wisely, graciously, and cleanly, and never foolishly, rudely, or insensitively. Give me words that speak of the hope that is within me. May the words I speak bring others into a fuller knowledge of You.

It is adapted from Stormie Omartian's The Power of a Praying Woman, modified to suit my own needs. I remember exactly how I felt the moment I was penning those words: this prayer is what would change me, this is who I want to be, this is how I would live for God's glory. It was a mixture of pride and submission.

Six months on, and I have learnt that: God has changed me, this is still who I endeavour to be, and how I want to live for God's glory. But I have also learnt things about myself that wasn't easy for me to admit: that you don't always remember to turn to the first page of the Bible, even if you've made the commitment to pray the prayer first thing in the morning; other days, you don't even pick up your Bible, and it has nothing to do with forgetfulness.

God continues to teach me new things, and I continue to learn and grow, and pray that I will never stop; I know that He will never stop.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chantelle said...

I learn so much from your blog - thank you for the time you put into it! I got the quote that I put on my blog today in an email from my friend Val Heinrichs this morning. I'm not sure where she got it from - but I'll ask her. God Bless! Chantelle

Wed Nov 24, 01:45:00 am  
Blogger Laughingcow said...

Thank you! :) I'm glad you have been blessed. I just write the best I can.

Wed Nov 24, 04:05:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home