Thursday, November 18, 2004

Happy Birthday, Dad

My dad went for an eye check-up today, and the doctor found that he had two holes in his right retina; if he didn't get them fixed, he'd go blind -- and fast -- the doctor said.

The amazing thing is that he never intended to go for any eye check-up, not anywhere in the near future, anyway. He had accompanied a friend to an optician (who is an old friend of his). She (the optician) then reminded him of his cataract in his left eye, and nagged at him to get it checked.

My dad felt prompted to take this piece of advice, and that's how he found out about his damaged retina, and how they were on the brink of coming detached -- my tears welled up at the thought of how close he came to going blind, and they poured when I realised how faithfully God had led my dad, through this miraculous chain of events.

You know what? The eye doctor that my dad consulted today wasn't even the regular doctor who'd treated him for his cataracts. That doctor, at the last check-up, didn't even check his right eye, and probably wouldn't have; she would not have discovered the holes in the retina.

My dad, by the impulse of his spirit, went to the eye doctor that he had only once consulted, a long, long time ago. He still doesn't know why, except that God is good, in ways that we cannot even fathom.

To end off the happy story with one more amazing grace: this doctor had a full schedule, he didn't have to treat my dad today. But he offered -- and for this, I will forever be grateful -- to stay past his consultation hours and perform the laser surgery for my dad.

What was heading towards a lifetime of darkness, God turned around in a matter of hours.

A special blessing on a special day, for an extra special dad.

Happy Birthday, Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home